Improving the access to cultural resources by extending the visit route of Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museumwith post-camp space of Schlachthaus and Molkerei buildings together with the reconstruction of the cinema hall.
The project is realized following the integrated project formula with the support of European Union Regional Development Fund within Operational Program Infrastructure and Environment for the years 2014-2020 as well as the Museum’s own funds.
Total project cost was estimated at PLN 32 606 237.38 and the amount of funding from EURDF at PLN 18 353 967.42 (level of funding: 85%).
Years of realization: 2016-2022
Assumed goals: improving the conditions for performing cultural and educational activity through improving the access to the resources of Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum in Oświęcim.
Detailed project objectives include:
· Supporting the modernization and improving the access to the infrastructure of Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum in Oświęcim
· Adapting the infrastructure utilized for performing cultural and educational activity to applicable standards as well as the expectations and needs of its recipients
· Adapting the facilities and infrastructure of Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum in Oświęcim to the needs of people with disabilities
· Improving the quality of visitor service
· Stopping gradual degradation of the facilities, both non-monumental as well as monumental infrastructure, exposed to the risk of destruction
Indirect project objectives include:
· increasing the number of visitors of Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum in Oświęcim
· increasing the number of visitors participating in projections at the cinema hall.
The scope of the project includes:
a) sub-project located within UNESCO buffer zone:
deconstruction works, construction works (electrical substation) and infrastructure development (Schlachthaus and Molkerei building, Dispatcher’s Office, two underground passages (accompanying infrastructure) to the border of UNESCO buffer zone), land development, installation works, purchase of equipment.
b) sub-project located within the zone inscribed on UNESCO World Heritage List:
construction and installation works (land development, passageways, two underground passages (accompanying infrastructure) from the border of UNESCO buffer zone, landing strip, reconstruction and renovation of the cinema hall together with technical background located in A-50 building (together with equipment), touch model including the plaque in Braille located on the square in front of the A-50 building.
Planned effects: The project will make it possible to improve the access to cultural resources as well as to extend and develop cultural and educational offer of Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum in Oświęcim and to improve the quality of visitor service at the Memorial Site.
As a result of the investments, the organization of visitor traffic will be improved. The new route is going to include additional educational elements and will be extended with Schlachthaus and Molkerei, the facility so far not available for visitors.
The infrastructure will be fully adapted to the needs of people with disabilities.
Thanks to developing new spaces for performing cultural and educational activity, it will be possible to extend educational offer of the Memorial Site within the premises of former German Nazi concentration and extermination camp.
Information Point devoted to former KL Auschwitz prisoners is also going to be created.
The reconstruction and renovation of the cinema hall together with technical background will make it possible to improve the quality of the Museum’s educational activity.
History of the facility:
Construction of the Schlachthaus and Molkerei facility began in 1941 and its extension, divided into subsequent stages, lasted until 1943. The building underwent several reconstruction processes also after the war. Originally, the slaughterhouse was given the form of a quadrangle with two internal courts. Subsequent sections of the building had double roof with queen post structure covered with ceramic interlocking tile. Basements were intended for slaughterhouse cold rooms. Currently this is a two-level building (ground floor, usable attic), with partial basement. The shape of the building resembles a rectangle with the dimensions of ca. 44.09m / 44.06m x 36.02m / 35.76 m.
Until 1945, the building was utilized according to its initial function of a slaughterhouse and milk house next to the KL Auschwitz camp in Oświęcim. After 1945, it was transformed into bus depot. The building remained unused since June 2011.
Aleksandra Hajnos: firstname.lastname@example.org +48 33 844 80 36
Monika Karpiel: +48 33 844 80 36
Information concerning potential irregularities or financial fraud within the realization of the project can be submitted to e-mail address or through a special contact form.