The historic building of the so-called little potato warehouse under the care of the Museum
The so-called little potato warehouse, located within the immediate vicinity of the Birkenau camp, has come under the care of the Museum. In the near future it will be rebuilt. The historic building of the Nazi German concentration and extermination camp will house technical support for preservation work carried out at the Auschwitz Memorial.
Owned by the State Treasury, the building was transferred to the Museum by the Voivode of Małopolska. Design work will begin later this year, which should allow construction work to commence in the second half of 2014.;
“Thanks to the space created, it will be much easier to do conservation work in Birkenau,” underlined Rafał Pióro, deputy director of the Museum. “With technical support building situated so close to the Memorial Site, we will be able to minimise necessary actions that could in any way interfere with the authentic and protected area,” added Pióro.
The building was constructed in 1943 next to the Bla sector of the Auschwitz II-Birkenau camp, and during the war served as a warehouse for potatoes (known as the Kartoffellagerhalle). In the post-war period, the building was never placed under the care of the Museum. In 2009, the roof of the building was destroyed by a fire. Transfer of the building to the Museum will allow for its reconstruction as well as arrangement of these surroundings within the immediate vicinity of the Memorial Site.
The so-called little potato warehouse ;can be found in the vicinity of the BIa sector of the former ;Auschwitz II-Birkenau camp. To this day, very few documents have been preserved that may be used to reconstruct the history of the object. Among those found is a plan for the location of a building, called the Kartoffellagerhalle, dated 6 June 1943 (Bauwerk 66, AuI).
The building was constructed in 1943, and from the autumn of that year until the liquidation of the camp in January 1945, it served as a store of potatoes.
Information about the building can be found in the account of the former prisoner Janusz Tusiński, interred on 6 May 1943, camp number 120257: “After some time, capo Miklaszewski was transferred with his Kommando to build the Kartoffelhall next to F.K.L. Of course, I worked on the construction from the foundation excavations up to the completion of the building.” (Statements, vol. 94, pp. 38)