MEMORIAL AND MUSEUM

AUSCHWITZ-BIRKENAU

FORMER GERMAN NAZI
CONCENTRATION AND EXTERMINATION CAMP

News

Record attendance and change of terms of booking from January 2 – personal entry cards for all visitors

03-12-2019

The number of visitors to the Auschwitz Memorial has already exceeded the record attendance of 2018. Then, the site of the former German Nazi concentration and extermination camp Auschwitz was visited by 2 million 152 thousand people from all over the world. 

 

‘Last year's result was recorded at the end of November. It means that the total number of visitors this year may even be close to 2.3 million. In December 2018 alone, we had about 110 thousand visitors, and in fact, this year we have seen some percentage increase in the number of visitors every single month,’ said Andrzej Kacorzyk, director of the International Center for Education about Auschwitz and the Holocaust.

‘We will have to wait until the end of the year for detailed data, but an analysis of the data so far indicates that about 81 per cent of visitors lerned the history of Auschwitz with one of the 344 Museum guides who conduct tours in 21 languages,’ added Kacorzyk.

The new terms and conditions for visiting and booking at the Auschwitz Memorial will come into effect as of 2 January 2020. One of the most important changes is the introduction of personal Entry Cards also for group tours. It is aimed at eliminating trade in Entry Cards by some businesses that brings visitors to the Memorial.

‘For some time now, we have seen cases of profiteering of entry cards, as well as the flooding of the online system of the Museum with a huge number of “unnecessary in-advance” reservations. We also know that a kind of grey market of wholesale entry cards has developed, to the detriment of individual visitors," said Museum Director Dr. Piotr M. A. Cywiński. 

Beginning next year, each booking – both individual and group – will require providing data of participants. 

‘It will facilitate the booking process, as it will no longer be possible to place "blind" orders, thus blocking visiting dates and hours for others. The practices that are against the existing regulations will be impeded,’ Piotr Cywiński added.

Given the huge interest, we encourage all those who wish to visit the authentic Memorial Site to book the visits well in advance - both for tours with an educator and free of charge without an educator at visit.auschwitz.org. General individual and group reservations can be made three months in advance.