MEMORIAL AND MUSEUM

AUSCHWITZ-BIRKENAU

FORMER GERMAN NAZI
CONCENTRATION AND EXTERMINATION CAMP

News

Exhibition on the deportation of inhabitants of the upraising Warsaw to Auschwitz in the Google Cultural Institute

12-08-2016

72 years ago, on August 12, 1944, the first transport of civilian inhabitants of Warsaw arrested en masse after the outbreak of the uprising and imprisoned in a transitional camp in Pruszków-Durchgangslager 121, arrived at the German Nazi concentration and extermination camp Auschwitz II-Birkenau. On the occasion of the anniversary, the International Center for Education about Auschwitz and the Holocaust has opened a new exhibition in the Google Cultural Institute: “Deportation of Warsaw inhabitants to Auschwitz after the outbreak of the Warsaw Uprising“.

 

The transport of 12 August 1944 comprised of men and boys, marked with the numbers 190912-192895 and more than 3800 women and girls that were marked with numbers 83085-86938. Women and children were placed in a camp for women (BIa sector), while the men were placed in the male camp quarantine (BIIa sector) in Birkenau. Camp numbers were not tattooed on them.

The author of the exposition is Helena Kubica, a historian with the Auschwitz Museum Research Centre. She presented among others, the German policy towards the civilian population of Warsaw during the uprising, and their destinies - from mass arrests to the transitional camp in Pruszków, deportation to Auschwitz, stay at the camp until further deportation into the depths of Germany or until the moment of liberation in Auschwitz on 27 January 1945. The historical text is enriched with fragments of accounts and memoirs, as well as historical photographs.   

During the Warsaw Uprising and after its suppression, the Germans deported approximately 550 thousand inhabitants of Warsaw and about 100 thousand people from the surrounding areas of the city. They were sent to a specially commissioned transition camp in Pruszków near Warsaw. The Germans deported 55 thousand people to the concentration camps.

In the Auschwitz II-Birkenau camp, the Germans imprisoned about 13 thousand people ranging from new-borns to the elderly. It is more than half of the total number of Poles deported from all over the District of Warsaw from August 1940 until September 1944.

In the period from 10 to 17 January 1945, about 100 younger boys together with their mothers or caretakers, and more than 500 women and girls, among them mothers with their children born in the camp were transported from Birkenau to the camps situated on the outskirts of Berlin (the satellite camps of KL Sachsenhausen).

Warsaw inhabitants that were not transported in 1944 to the camps in Germany were brought to the camp on 18 January 1945 in the so-called Death March in the direction of Wodzisław in Śląsk and Gliwice. From here, they were further transported via railway to the camps in the depths of the Third Reich (women and girls to Ravensbrück and Bergen-Belsen, men and boys mainly to Mautahusen and its satellite camps.

About 400 persons from the Pruszków transport (more than 160 women), including at least 125 children and youngsters, among them 19 born in the camp were liberated from the Auschwitz camp.

The lesson is available in Polish and English language.