Commemorating the National Day of Remembrance for Victims of the Nazi Concentration Camps, the director and employees of the Auschwitz Memorial Site laid a wreath at the Death Wall. 72 years ago, on June 14, 1940, the Nazis transported a group of 728 Polish political prisoners from the prison in Tarnów to the newly built concentration camp of Auschwitz.
The Council of the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum met at the first meeting of the 2012-2016 term. It is a consultative body, appointed by the Minister of Culture and National Heritage, and supervises the statutory activity of Museum as well as the issuing of opinions on plans for its actions. The new Council members are: Piotr Hertig, Andrzej Kunert, PhD, Fr. Jan Nowak, Krystyna Oleksy and Anda Rottenberg.
Director of the State Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum, and also the President of the Auschwitz-Birkenau Foundation, dr Piotr M.A. Cywiński, has been awarded the Belgian Order of the Crown. According to the King Albert II Coburg's will, the Knight's Cross of the Order was awarded by the Ambassador of Belgium, His Eminence Raoul Delcorde. The special ceremony took place in the Ambassador's residence on 12 June 2012.
Already 19 countries have decided to support the Auschwitz-Birkenau Foundation. Pledges to contribute to the Foundation's Perpetual Fund have already exceeded EUR 97 million. In 2012 the Foundation should transfer to the Museum approximately PLN 1.7 million, and in the following year approximately PLN 4 million. The Foundation convened in Warsaw, in the Chancellery of the Prime Minister of Poland.
70 years ago, on 10 June 1942, the penal company revolted and fled together from the German Nazi concentration camp Auschwitz II-Birkenau. On this occasion an exceptional ceremony took place in the Memorial Site. Its honorary hero was August Kowalczyk, the only still surviving participant of those events.