On 14 June 1940, the Germans deported a group of 728 Poles from the prison in Tarnów to the concentration camp in Auschwitz. Among the deported prisoners were soldiers of the September 1939 campaign, members of the underground independent organizations, school pupils and students, as well as a small group of Polish Jews. This date is considered the beginning of the functioning of the camp. Events commemorating the 76th anniversary of the first transport of Poles to Auschwitz took place in Oświęcim, and the day before in Tarnów.
On 8 June 2016, an awayday meeting of the Financial Committee of the Auschwitz-Birkenau Foundation was held at the Auschwitz Memorial and Museum. The Committee's task is to advise the Management Board of the Foundation in matters related to assets, control of its activities, as well as the development of a strategy on how to invest funds accumulated in the Perpetual Fund.
After almost half a century, thousands of personal items of the victims of Auschwitz, are returning to the Memorial
More than 16 thousand personal items belonging to the victims of the German Nazi concentration and extermination camp Auschwitz-Birkenau, originating from archaeological works carried out in the area of gas chamber and crematorium III in 1967, returned to the Memorial after many months of searching.
On 14 June 2016, we will commemorate the 76th anniversary of the first transport of Poles to the German Nazi Auschwitz concentration camp created in the area of occupied Poland incorporated into the Third Reich. The anniversary day is also the National Remembrance Day of the Victims of the German Nazi Concentration and Extermination Camps by the decision of Polish Parliament. Events commemorating the anniversary will take place on 13 and 14 June.
It looked like a different planet. An exhibition about the deportations from Theresienstadt to Auschwitz.
A new exhibition prepared by the Museum in the Google Cultural Institute, tells the story of the deportation of Jews from the ghetto set up by the Germans in the Czech city of Terezin (Theresienstadt) to the Nazi German concentration and extermination camp Auschwitz II-Birkenau. Its authors are Dr. Maria Martyniak of the International Center for Education about Auschwitz and the Holocaust, and Dr. Łukasz Martyniak of the Auschwitz Museum Research Center.