The headquarters of the International Center for Education about Auschwitz and the Holocaust will be located in the so-called Old Theatre building, which will be adapted for this purpose. The project received funding from the European Union within the framework of priority axis VIII Protection of cultural heritage and development of cultural resources under the Operational Programme Infrastructure and Environment for the period 2014-2020. Its total cost is over PLN 30 million. EU support will exceed PLN 20 million.
The conservation process of half of a wooden prisoners’ barracks of the German Nazi concentration and extermination camp Auschwitz II-Birkenau has been completed. The historic building returned to the Memorial in 2013, after over 20 years of loan to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington D.C.
On 10 July 2016, the Prime Minister of Canada - Justin Trudeau visited the Auschwitz Memorial and Museum. He was accompanied among others by Nate Leipciger, a former inmate of Auschwitz born in 1928 in Chorzów, who emigrated to Canada in 1948 and repeatedly visited the Memorial during the Marches of the Living, the Canadian Minister for Foreign Affairs Stéphane Dion and Rabbi Adam Scheier from Montreal, Vice-President of the Council of Rabbis. The guests were welcomed by the Director of the Museum dr Piotr M.A. Cywiński, who also told them about the history of the camp, and the contemporary challenges of the Memorial.
A meeting of the Council of the Auschwitz-Birkenau Foundation was held at the offices of the law firm Weil, Gotshal & Manges in Warsaw. The main objective of the Auschwitz-Birkenau Foundation is to finance the conservation of the authentic remains of the former German Nazi concentration and extermination camp Auschwitz-Birkenau.