A meeting of the Council of the Auschwitz-Birkenau Foundation was held at the offices of the law firm Weil, Gotshal & Manges in Warsaw. The main objective of the Auschwitz-Birkenau Foundation is to finance the conservation of the authentic remains of the former German Nazi concentration and extermination camp Auschwitz-Birkenau.
'Traces of Them Remain...' – Inscriptions from the Block of Death on exhibition in the Google Cultural Institute
“Traces of The Remain..." is the title of the new exhibition of the Auschwitz Museum available in the Google Cultural Institute. It presents extremely moving traces left by prisoners of Auschwitz - inscriptions carved in the Block of Death and prison on the premises of the Auschwitz I camp. The author of the exhibition prepared by the International Centre for Education about Auschwitz and the Holocaust is dr Adam Cyra, a historian at the Museum’s Research Centre.
On 14 June 1940, the Germans deported a group of 728 Poles from the prison in Tarnów to the concentration camp in Auschwitz. Among the deported prisoners were soldiers of the September 1939 campaign, members of the underground independent organizations, school pupils and students, as well as a small group of Polish Jews. This date is considered the beginning of the functioning of the camp. Events commemorating the 76th anniversary of the first transport of Poles to Auschwitz took place in Oświęcim, and the day before in Tarnów.
On 8 June 2016, an awayday meeting of the Financial Committee of the Auschwitz-Birkenau Foundation was held at the Auschwitz Memorial and Museum. The Committee's task is to advise the Management Board of the Foundation in matters related to assets, control of its activities, as well as the development of a strategy on how to invest funds accumulated in the Perpetual Fund.
After almost half a century, thousands of personal items of the victims of Auschwitz, are returning to the Memorial
More than 16 thousand personal items belonging to the victims of the German Nazi concentration and extermination camp Auschwitz-Birkenau, originating from archaeological works carried out in the area of gas chamber and crematorium III in 1967, returned to the Memorial after many months of searching.