MEMORIAL AND MUSEUM

AUSCHWITZ-BIRKENAU

FORMER GERMAN NAZI
CONCENTRATION AND EXTERMINATION CAMP

IAC Meetings

Meeting XXVII: 1 October 2014

13-10-2014

The 27th session of the International Auschwitz Council was held on 1 October 2014 in Warsaw under the chairmanship of Professor Władysław Bartoszewski.

Members of the IAC listened to the director of the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum in Oświecim, who reported on the activities of the Museum and the Auschwitz-Birkenau Foundation in the previous months following the last session of the IAC; state of work on the new main exhibition; preparations for the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau. Dr. Piotr M.A. Cywiński also presented a proposal to include a plaque in Luxemburgish on the monument in Birkenau.

In the second part of the session, Jacek Miler the director of the Department of National Heritage at the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage, discussed the issue of proposals that would be referred to the Russian Federation authorities. This applies to documents and artefacts from Auschwitz-Birkenau, which upon the liberation of the camp were carried off to the USSR. Members of the IAC unanimously adopted the following resolution:

In the interest of preserving the integrity of the Memorial Sites of the German Nazi Auschwitz-Birkenau Concentration Camp and access to original sources connected with the history of the camp, the International Auschwitz Council calls on the Government of the Republic of Poland; represented in accordance with competence by the Minister of Culture and National Heritage, to prepare proposals concerning the transfer to the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum all archive records and objects created or used by the authorities, staff and prisoners, which were moved from the KL Auschwitz concentration camp and the surrounding areas in 1945 by troops of the Red Army and NKVD units, as well as members of the Extraordinary Soviet State Commission for Investigation of the Crimes of German-Fascist Aggressors.