MEMORIAL AND MUSEUM

AUSCHWITZ-BIRKENAU

FORMER GERMAN NAZI
CONCENTRATION AND EXTERMINATION CAMP

Hubertshütte

Barracks for prisoners. Photo: Yad Vashem (date unknown)
Barracks for...

A sub-camp located in Łagiewniki Śląskie near Bytom, founded in the second half of December 1944 at the Hubertus mill, part of the Berghütte company. About 200 prisoners, mostly Jews, were brought from Auschwitz and temporarily quartered in the barracks of a camp for foreign compulsory laborers, because the planned camp was under construction at the time. Some of them were put to work erecting a fence around the camp, and the others at auxiliary tasks within the mill—unloading coke and gravel, and digging foundations for a new factory building. Mill management was preparing to hold about a thousand prisoners in the sub-camp, but this never came to be. SS-Unterscharführer Josef Eckhardt was the sub-camp director. In January 1945, the prisoners were evacuated on foot to Gliwice, and from there to Sachsenhausen by rail. 

Source: Auschwitz from A to Z. An Illustrated History