MEMORIAL AND MUSEUM

AUSCHWITZ-BIRKENAU

FORMER GERMAN NAZI
CONCENTRATION AND EXTERMINATION CAMP

Birkenau

A sub-camp founded about 300 m from Birkenau, planned in early 1941 as one of many SS farms. It finally went into operation in mid-1943, with an average population of 200–235 prisoners, the majority of whom at first were Poles and Russians; in the second half of 1944 most were Jews, designated with numbers from series A or B. They worked in stables and barns located on the farm, where they also slept in a separate barracks. Extant statistics indicate that the sub-camp population decreased by 76 prisoners in the course of less than a year.

Source: Auschwitz from A to Z. An Illustrated History